About PPC, Powered Parachute Pilot Training
For South Africa you need a valid SAHPA/RAASA Pilots license.
What is PPC, Powered parachute. Normally it will be a old style Sq Chute trike, steerable by your feet. Also it is normally a big tandem unit.
In SA we still classify all tandem trikes as PPC’s, (soon it will change)
PPG Training Steps
- Purchase a temporary (training) membership to SAHPA.
- This can be done through schools with instructor assistance.
- It allows you to start flying under instructor supervision.
- The membership is valid for 6 months.
- Includes Third Party Liability Insurance
- Includes your PPC Theory Test
- Purchase a PPC Training Manual (from your instructor).
- It is optional.
- The book, entitled “The Powered Paragliding Bible” by Jeff Goin.
- You also need to acquire a suitable airband radio, headset and helmet *(see cost on school intro course)
- Ask your instructor for recommendations
- Training Proses:
- Start the ground school training first with out wing, engine control, steering etc.
- Learn to pull-up and kite the wing and control it overhead (usually 2 hours training required)
- Complete a MINIMUM of 10 hours of flying. (with est. Hours tandem instruction)
- Write the two theory tests at home, at your own leisure
- Do the Aeronautical Radio Course, at any stage during your training
- Once everything has been completed, your instructor will apply to SAHPA for your PPC Pilot License
- You will need to submit your flight log-book, and get any instructor to sign the paperwork.
- Upgrade your SAHPA membership to full membership (valid for one year from the start of your student membership)
- Each year you will renew your license and SAHPA membership
- Duration: You should be able to complete the full course in one to four months part-time (evenings and weekends), depending on the effort you put in, the time you make available and the weather.
Detail description of courses, R15,000* (T&Cs apply)
- All training on your own equipment
- EAFS logbook with training modules and training schedules
- PPC Theoretical Training (+- 3 Hours)
- All Ground training (est. 5 hours)
- All Ground Engine training (est.2hours)
- First Flight preparation
- Marking and corrections of exams (+- 3 Hours)
- Completing of min 10 hours (est. 30min per flight)
- Student pack
- Restricted Radio license
- SAHPA Student fees (est. R440), valid for six (6) months
- Temporary Grassland Club fees
- Any out of town cost, traveling and accommodation.
- “Power paragliding Bible” from Jeff Goin, and DVD – R1,200 (excluding VAT) various DVD’s and books also available
- Onsite training, at your place or area
- Coastal accelerated courses available
- You are welcome to shop at Grassland for any paragliding pilot clothing and accessories